Friday, July 27, 2007

It's All About Perspective, really...

I don't know about you, but I hate "To Do" lists. When I write them, I rarely if ever, seem to get anything on them done. Even when I finish each task, I don't feel as though I've really achieved that much.

However, there are a couple of tricks that I find useful. They're designed to trick my mind into achieving my goals.
Essentially all they do is change my perspective on the situation at hand.

I thought I would share these little tricks with you. Who knows, maybe they'll help you too.

I no longer have "To Do" lists. Instead I have a Goals book.
I make everything that I want to achieve a goal. Not something to do, as such, instead something to achieve. I therefore look at everything that I complete as an achievement of these goals.

I know it may seem silly to put something simple like "cleaning the house" as a goal, but it works. Then when the task is complete, it becomes something that I've achieved, instead of just house work. Then I feel as thought I've achieved something that I've set out to do.

Now that I keep my goals in a book, I don't ever throw them away. If it's written on a whiteboard or a piece paper however, I'll eventually have to wipe it off. Then it's lost. So I can't actually see what I've achieved over time, but because it's written in my book, I can look back and see a list of goals that I've set for myself and then reached.

NEVER, and I mean never, do I cross out my goals once I've achieved them. Subconsciously crossing them out feels negative to me. So instead I've gotten into the habit of putting a big tick next to them, once they're complete. It makes me feel as though I've done the right thing.
I've achieved something that I've set out to do.

Try it for yourself, I was amazed with the results.
Maybe you will be too...

0 comments: